Chai for the win!

For the last couple of years I've been all about making gifts - especially for Christmas. This may or may not have anything to do with the fact that I haven't had much spare cash to buy gifts with, but has everything to do with me wanting to get creative!

This year I decided to try make chai syrup. I'm rather partial to a bit of chai now and then, and I know some of my gift recipients are as well, le the perfect excuse.

The first batch I made I think was the best - beginners luck?! Although, batches since then have had rave reviews also. Syrups that you can buy tend to be on the sweeter side, as are the syrups a lot of cafes use, but I prefer a spicy chai which is what I have made. I used a small amount of honey as a sweetener, you can use as much or as little as you like, as well as substituting the honey for different types of sugar. You can also add as much or as little as you'd like of the spices depending on the flavour you want.



Chai Syrup
1 vanilla pod - split
2 cinnamon sticks
1/2 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
8 cardamom pods - crushed
10 whole cloves
2 star anise
a thumb sized piece of fresh ginger - roughly chopped 
1 tablespoon of honey (I used wild honey, but any will do) or sweetener of your choice
10 black tea bags or loose black tea equivalent
5 cups of cold water

Place all the ingredients in a large saucepan and pour over the cold water.

Bring to the boil, and then reduce the heat. Simmer, uncovered, on a low heat for about 30 minutes. 

After it has simmered for 30 minutes, strain into a jug with a fine sieve and allow to cool.

Once cooled, decant into sterilized bottles and seal.

Keep in the refrigerator and use within a week.




I like to serve mine at a ratio of 1:1 syrup & milk. I prefer soy, but all milk works fine.

Either mix both syrup and milk together and heat in a small saucepan, or in the microwave, or, if you are feeling fancy, heat the milk separately, froth in a coffee plunger and then pour over hot syrup, sprinkle with cinnamon and serve. And for those feeling even more fancy...top with whipped or thickened cream #legit #realtalk #youknowit



Enjoy
x

Comments

Popular Posts